Friday, June 7, 2013

Sayonara, Year 6!

On Wednesday, as the buses pulled out and several hundred children screamed their goodbyes from open windows, my colleagues and I stood waving goodbye, thankful that another year was over, silently saying, "thank you, God, we made it through!" And behind my Audrey Hepburn-esque oversized black sunglasses, I bawled like a little baby. Yep.

Less than 48 later, my two classrooms are packed up (for this alone we art teachers deserve medals made of precious gold), my end-of-year checklists are in, and my computer is ready to be turned in for re-imaging... you know, when I'm done posting this.



I hope you had an awesome year! For personal reasons that I'll probably get into at a later date, mine was the hardest yet. It also held some of the best days and sweetest kids. And roughly 7,500 projects (!!!). So all in all, it was another great year. Year 6! Where does the time go? (Translation: I'm getting OLD.)

I inadvertently came across this post and in truly un-Rachel fashion, actually read the entire thing word for word. And it is just beautiful. It speaks volumes to teachers and I think you must go read it now because it can be summed up in one beautiful sentence:

Your life matters so much and your legacy will go on long after you’re done teaching.

Wowsa. I plan to post some end-of-year projects in the coming weeks, and hope to share a few other quasi-related things as well, so please, don't kick me to the curb from your blog feed just yet! I've so enjoyed keeping this blog for the last 8 months and hope to kick things into high gear in the year to come. Until then, I'll be reading--FOR PLEASURE, for Pete's sake--staying up past 10:30, making art that isn't for the sole purpose of being recreated by 6-year-olds, and going to yard sales on FRIDAYS! Ahhhhhh!

5 comments :

  1. Hahah I totally agree with deserving medals for packing up our classrooms! Hope you have a wonderful summer! :)

    Ms Gram
    http://artwithmsgram.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on another complete year, but... getting old???! After just 6 years?? NO WAY! After all, I taught for THIRTY-six years, am retired for one year, and am NOT OLD. I still like to think about what I'll do when I grow up. So stay young, and enjoy your summer reading and creating!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knew you'd make a comment on the 'old' bit! ;-) I think it's just the number of times kids have begun commenting on my wrinkles and age, haha!

      Delete
  3. Loved your post! I've been too pooped to write one yet and I'm sure I'm older than you! I'm so glad we have connected this year. Enjoy your much deserved break!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Likewise, Beth! Congrats on another year!

      Delete