Friday, March 1, 2013

Read Across America

Happy (day before) Read Across America Day! One of my buildings is celebrating Dr. Seuss's birthday with a "Dr. Seuss Travels the World" themed day. Every classroom was charged with picking a country to study, then decorating their door to match. The kids, many of whom are dressed up as their favorite Seuss character, are wandering around with 'passports' to learn about the various countries.

The art room door is dressed to impress...



Okay, so I'll be the first to admit that it's not that impressive. Portfolio-worthy it is not; my half-Italian husband should be ashamed of me. I had set aside time to do it on Wednesday during my planning period, only to fall victim to the stomach flu earlier in the week. After two agonizing days spent on the couch, I'm back to nearly normal. Admittedly, catching up was my priority--a decorated door, not so much. In my defense, last year I won the "Favorite Book Character" door decorating contest with my girl Fancy Nancy. And one outta two ain't bad!

Anyway, one of my Art Enrichment (art club) fifth graders showed me a great book last week: The Secret Art of Dr. Seuss. Have you seen this? Some of the illustrations are slightly racy (whoa, Theodor!), but all are really fun to look at, there's a beautiful tribute by Theodor Geisel's wife, and an intro by Maurice Sendak. I highly recommend tracking down a copy if you haven't seen it already.

I have several finished projects to share next week! Till then, happy weekend (hallelujah!)!

1 comment :