Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Welcome to Pennsylvania

I can't say for certain, but I do believe that everyone else is having the same back-to-school shell shock that I am; I believe that my nearly-empty blogger feed is proof of it, though. Like you, we're jumping right back into projects, but there isn't much to share at this moment.

I do have some unique sculptures to show you, though. Ready for this?

May I present to you... what happens in Dillsburg, Pennsylvania on December 31st:

Photo courtesy of The Sentinel

While my husband and I opted for a quiet evening in for this year's NYE, I have attended the Pickle Drop and can attest to its splendor. It's serious business in Dillsburg--a few years ago, Mr. Pickle (crafted by Girl Scouts in the 90s) married Mrs. Pickle, and later on they gave the world Baby Gherkin. Oh, Dillsburg.


As if that's not reason enough to visit Central PA, here's another:


This, my friends, is the Pennsylvania Farm Show, the largest indoor agricultural event in America. When it opened on Saturday, there were more than 11,000 cars parked! When my husband and I went on Sunday, we were two of thousands of attendees, all smashed together in the big arena to watch the horse hitch competitions, shuffling through the halls to see the livestock, and waiting in lines for the farm fresh foods. It was fabulous.

My grandfather was a farmer (he attended the Farm Show for decades) and I grew up in the middle of a cornfield, so I'm no stranger to this stuff. My husband grew up less animal-friendly in a small city and therefore is completely enamored with the hilarious-looking chickens, sheared sheep, and massive bulls. He has proclaimed that we shall attend the Farm Show every year. I'm up for that, even if it's just to see the infamous butter sculpture, a new-each-year work of art sculpted from 1,000 pounds of butter. Yup.


I <3 Pennsylvania.

Art projects (not made of dairy products) to come in the next few days!

No comments :

Post a Comment