Saturday, November 17, 2012

28 years ago, an art teacher was born (hehe)

Earlier this week, I celebrated my 28th birthday. I know that some people don't like working on their birthday, but I really enjoy it. Hanging out with a few hundred kiddos on one's special day is pretty special in itself.

Last weekend, as a little pre-bday getaway, my husband took me to Inner Harbor in Baltimore, Maryland, about 1.5 hours away. We stayed in a nice hotel where we ordered some great Chinese food, vegged out, and slept in--no puppy wake-up call at 6:30 (!!!), 'cause he stayed with a friend.

Starbucks and cold Chinese--breakfast of champions!

The day was spent wandering and shopping the Harbor, and enjoying a great seafood meal by the water. Then we went to IKEA! 'Twas a good day!




One of the highlights of my actual birthday came when I first arrived at school, where two of my fifth graders (twin girls) presented me with a painting that one of them had done and framed:


I don't think I can put into words how touched I was. The little sweetie said, "I used the watercolor techniques that you taught us." LOVE

Later, my best friend, who teaches second grade, brought some coffee and a pumpkin muffin for me for breakfast--super yum! And it just so happened that the PTO had organized a thank-you luncheon for teachers on that very day--excellent timing! That evening, my husband and I joined our best friends and their precious infant son to go out to a really nice dinner. It was a wonderful meal (I had lobster, mmmm), and thanks to a restaurant contest I won last year, we had enough gift card credit to pay for everything! Nothing says happy birthday like a day of free meals!

The next day I was at my other building, where a fourth grader had left me a stuffed dachshund puppy and a homemade card. A fourth grade boy. Precious.

Twenty-seven was a good year. I married my best bud, adopted a sweet puppy, and bought a house. And of course, I started this blog. ;-)

Any good birthday memories to share?

4 comments :

  1. Girl, I think you hit the birthday jackpot! My favorite was my 35th birthday. Small school, about 125 kids and the teachers were in the entryway when I got there with a birthday banner that stretched across the hallway and then they sang happy birthday!I cried!!!

    :)Pat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jackpot indeed! If only I could transfer such luck to the lotto... your 35th sounds great! You are loved.

      Delete
  2. I'm your newest follower - congrats on an awesome birthday!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It really was a great day. I just came from your blog--I love your Matisse collages! Over the summer, I did a cat sculpture project (like Phyl's Laurel Burch cats at There's a Dragon in my Art Room) with a summer art class, and those kids are now asking for dog sculptures--I may have to consider your blue dogs, SO GREAT!

      Delete